Monday, October 3, 2011

Leadership & Faith Learning Forum

Sharing a few of the comments about the Leadership Development Forum kicked off Sept 29th:
"...what a diverse group of quality, management professionals to learn with." "...Throughout the session there were times when my mind was thinking about how I could apply to my staff (team)..." "Thank you for helping me find understand better my inner self and it seemed God never left my side! " "...I came away very energized and in a good mood which lasted all day, ...I can already see that I am gaining knowledge just by listening to the others." "We have an awesome group and you are so blessed to know all of them! I walked away feeling like I just made ten new friends."




In preparation for this (LGT)Leader Development program I just began (involving God/Faith into the leader's daily walk) I discovered something intriguing and interesting about our approach to each.

Now we have all heard about the necessity of taking time out to listen, pray and seek the Lord - nothing new there. This TIME factor is something I hear from leaders I work with; hearing some say words such as “I just don’t have time for leadership.” Some think of the art, mastery & practice of Leadership as though it was just another task / hour to plug into the daily planner at the end of the day!

These are the ones who haven’t quite gotten it. Leadership is not another task for the TO DO list - but a way of life, who you are, how you do what you do …& who you are. For real leaders and real leadership, it is the way you walk your daily walk & how we behave, causing others to want to follow us (or not). For leadership to be effective, it must be intertwined & be a part of everything the leader does - words, actions, habits, presence, etc. It is about his/her personality traits, qualities, skills, principles, values and practices; again not to be an extra hour to force into the day somewhere?

Now going back to the idea of setting aside time for God; in some ways I think this is the same misled kind of thinking. Our time with God should be something that ‘goes with you’ every minute of every hour of every day. Isn’t it through the minute-by-minute talk & interaction/dialog with our creator & most awesome leader that we grow in our lives? For me, it is that personal relationship & communication that goes on continually that is important. It is what gives me peace & where I find comfort in God, that all-day-long relating that goes on between God and myself. Not plugging in another hour somewhere, somehow…?

Yes, indeed we need to find time to study Him, His Word, our bible and maybe seek what others say about Faith as well. In that same vein, this LGT program we just kicked off is with leaders coming together to focus on Leadership ‘continuous improvement’ to take back & make our leadership-walk a better one. What makes this program, this process (at least for me) so great, is we are taking time to study & focus on improvement in GOD (AND) our LEADERSHIP at the same time!!! The (WIFM) WHATS-IN-IT-FOR-ME for the dozen leaders is taking time to increase our understanding and skills to make our Leadership better every minute, every hour, every day; and to raise our consciousness of focusing on that personal relationship and bringing Him along every minute, every hour, every day as we lead those we are serving.

May God give you the Wisdom to understand what I was attempting to share & communicate here! Did you get it?

*new forums being put together as we speak; let me know if interested.
BOOKER

No comments: