Saturday, April 24, 2010

Managers 'bad people' ?!?...nahhhh

A recent group of leaders I was speaking to, reminded me of a dynamic that happens periodically. Sometimes people initially believe I am targeting or attacking managers. This could be no further from the truth. In my consulting, speaking coaching and teaching (as well as within my book series), people eventually realize that I actually sincerely love people! I find ALL OF US to be hugely amazing as well...

I have a lot of compassion for the challenges managers face and their nearly hopeless position - being placed in these leadership roles with little to no training or preparation. Good people doing their best to execute a critical skillset, especially to those they are attempting to lead huh?

However, I also have a lot of compassion and empathy for the zillions of people who have to be led by untrained and therefore ineffective leadership. To that end, the purpose and my passion in all I do is to challenge the current thinking of managers and create this awareness. This challenge is also for those responsible for developing leadership and essentially organizations as a whole.

Soooo, do you view managers in your life, or in your past to be a bad person?

If YOU are a manager, are you a bad person?...might some be viewing you this way?...

Could it just be managers are actually good people, practicing bad leadership???...

>>>HAVE AN AWESOME SATURDAY<<<

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Post! Kind of reminds of this video post "the irrelevant boss" by Vineet Nayar http://www.vineetnayar.com/the-irrelevant-boss/

Renata