Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Transparency or Pride

In conversation with a biz leader yesterday - the concept of being TRANSPARENT was raised.

Leaders being transparent is a popular concept in some leadership/management circles. I believe it to be one of the top 2-3 most important Leader Qualities; many leaders would not agree.

After all, for any important person or relationship in our life, do we not want the other person to be REAL? Think about this: Any relationship that is not a good & important relationship is likely because one or both of the parties are not being transparent.

When a relationship is good, right and true, we KNOW that person; they KNOW us. Why can we not see/understand this as humans …and as leaders? Something to do with the Power of Relationship huh?

When I am real; when I share my concerns, flaws, weaknesses and issues - I have strengthened our relationship (not weakened it, as some unknowing people/managers like to believe).

Instead people (not you and me mind ya) tend to be prideful, be someone we are not, put on airs, act as if everything is fine, what you did or said did not bother me… I have no problems, it is all good, I better not let you in, because you might learn I have flaws... You are perfect, never make mistakes, and cannot admit you were wrong…

I would just challenge all of us to consider the people in our lives where the relationship is truly meaningful. What makes them or that relationship meaningful?

It is on some level about the transparency you have with that person.

Leaders: please know that no one really believes you are this studly, perfect, do not need any help, possess no problems, you are all-knowing / master of all, with everything in life being awesome. Be real with people and they will be real with you. There was after all only one Perfect One.

I have struggled with this dynamic in becoming more and more transparent about my faith, God, & Jesus; and letting that be part of who I am wherever I am, and always...

Is it too late to become transparent in some relationships in our lives? In my new / future relationships I intend to try and be more transparent from the beginning! (For leaders, how about considering this the next time you take over a leadership role, from the start?)

Something about all this made me think of THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS, Matthew 5:3-10

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."


(Connecting scripture to info: Matt 15:14, Prov 8:13, Prov 29:23)

No comments: