Thursday, November 17, 2011

ENCOURAGING Thoughts for Leaders

Encouraging, encourager, …encouragement is something that always comes up in Leadership vs Management-discussions. These kinds of thoughts are expressed, “I want my leader to be an encourager” or “A leader encourages people”. I have always somewhat discounted it as a separate quality or trait.

Whether meant sincerely or not, I just see encouraging comments as superficial and oftentimes lacking depth in
meaning. What are these kinds of words worth really: “That was amazing Bob, …Shelia that was a great effort, …I am so glad to have you on the team, …You are the best widget-maker in the company, (or) …keep up the good work”.
On their own these comments just seem kind of artificial, forced and contrived.

If you know me or if have read anything of mine in the past, you know I am about appreciating, valuing, growing people, etc.
So I hope it is obvious I am not against ‘encouraging’ people. I just think we actually encourage people through all of our other actions/behaviors as the leader – our walk vs our talk maybe!

Here is a brief listing of substantive ways we really encourage folks, or not:

• Listening to them, him/her (who I listen to is who I value/care about)…
• Developing a relationship with them, her/him (if I spend time getting to know you, it says I see you as important)…
• Asking their opinion, involving them in all that goes on (creates a sense of belonging and being wanted)…
• Helping them achieve their goals/what they want…
• Praising them for specific accomplishments in front of others (even if they say they don’t like that sort of thing)…
• Showing you genuinely care about them / not just about their widget-producing
(after all your job as the boss ‘requires’ you to care about their job; leaders also care about the person)…
• Protecting/shielding them from abuse (not letting others tear them down)…
• Delegate to them (this says much about your trust & value of them to you)…
• Coach and mentor them (again, spending time with people to grow them)…
• Find time once/month to formally sit down and give them honest feedback on expectations & accountability.
(the good & the bad, help them improve, etc)…

Believe me, if you lead in these ways, he/she WILL feel and be encouraged. I hope this encourages you to go
‘Walk ENCOURAGEMENT, and not just Talk it’.

[ If you are a parent, I am betting these thoughts have you thinking, huh? ]

Blessings my friend (which I should point out encourages me - that you are my friend),

Booker

No comments: