Saturday, November 6, 2010

When life is at its VERY BEST, I am focused outside of ME!

Several things have brought this to light lately – some things that made me go mmmmm:

• The absolute worst times in my life have been when I was focused inwardly. My self worth seems best (seems weird) when I am/can be focused on other’s troubles.
• The company or customer service agent sharing his/her excuses and troubles vs taking care of the customer?
• This is the essence of Servant Leadership huh?
• How easy it is to focus on others when we are in the JUDGING mode. We are soooooo much better at judging others than ourselves huh?
• Heard a parenting radio show about how some of the latest thinking on kids about constant praising, all good, building self-esteem can actually be a very damaging thing. Teaches that everything is about YOU!
• Reminds me of my days as a military commander and how it was a principle when we were eating a meal out in the field - the soldiers ate first.
• When we solve a relationship issue/conflict with someone, life is good and unstressed again. Leaders facilitating the resolution of a conflict between two people have done a great thing.
• Our society, workforce, work ethic and just generally people working together is challenged these days because of a real focus on self…it’s all about me’ generation??!
• It’s a mindset of thinking of others before self: When the elevator opens do we rush in or wait for others to come out? When we are in a discussion, conflict or argument, do we listen first?
• Before you as a leader make a decision, do you see what they think first?
• When we/employees are focused on the team’s troubles, we are much more satisfied, motivated and have a sense of belonging.
• Touches on that THROWING STARFISH story, about the person wandering the beach finding starfish and throwing them back in the sea before they die. Someone challenges how they can’t make a difference. Thrower responds with, as another one is thrown back, how it will indeed make a difference to THIS ONE.
• Oh yeah, here’s one: Jesus served us and died for us!
• Involving others in my doing, thinking, solving or working through something gives us comfort (and a better answer typically).
• Serving and giving are sure to be a big part of the coming holidays huh?
• MATTHEW 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends,….I no longer call you servants because a servant doesn’t know his masters business. Instead I call you friends. Everything I learned from my Father I have made known to you…

No comments: