Monday, November 8, 2010

What CARING Means, REAL LEADERSHIP!

Sharing something from my past that is a good leadership lesson: Real leaders understand their presence, approachability and personality quirks!

We all have them, and they could affect how people (your team/followers) relate and see you. Let me share my story: In my last assignment in the military, as an Army Major, I showed up in Germany to take a command position. In my first meeting with my commander, he immediately revealed this about himself,
I realize people see me as appearing serious, irritated and even mad. He went on to explain that he knew that's how he appeared to folks.
He went on, I discovered this a long while back and try to share with all I work with and who are around me. I recognize that I give this impression, but I am just always thinking and tend to scowl, and so I come across that way. Do not let it keep you from approaching me, communicating, bringing me problems....that's just me.

Here was a leader who knew himself and was telling me this to ensure I understood this, trusted and would approach him! A side note, he was totally right, he was a big burly bald dude who came across intimidating and yes even mad. He was in fact, a teddy-bear kind-hearted soul and we became tremendous friends; socializing as well as working together very effectively.

Great lesson, hope it helps YOU. Are you a leader that has people avoiding you? Are you a follower with a leader that you may be perceiving wrong? Either way, some communication with those around might help huh?

BOOKER, about the workplace!

No comments: