Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hey Leaders, what THEY want from you

Many years facilitating management development, culture, team, etc, led to the creation of the following list. From people at all levels, who all have to follow to some degree, these were the top desires of people from their leaders.
What does it mean? Well for sure any leader routinely leading according to these factors would be one darned good leader in most follower’s eyes!
Here are the Top 10, as expressed by people in all kinds of organizations serving in all kinds of different capacities. Interestingly, the vast majority of these observations, complaints, voids, wants and needs are mostly from management folks themselves, really! Think about the significance of what that says for a moment!
Here are likely the words and thoughts of any, maybe most - how about you? Would this make a pretty good leader to you?

1. I WANT my boss to support me, shield me and care about me-not just care about what I can do. Caring would include clear feedback every now and then also…

2. I WISH my boss would deal with that one person that makes everybody else miserable. That one (bad apple) is just allowed to do what he wants, because they are afraid of him. They really believe that we can’t live without him, what a joke.

3. I WANT to be involved early on regarding impending changes, new ideas, solutions to problems… When I am not involved, I just start not caring about how well things are done, get an attitude and become very apathetic. My motivation is well, you get it...

4. I NEED the opportunity to develop myself, be taught new skills, have the opportunity to be promoted, or maybe just be recognized for what I do now.

5. I WISH things were done fairly, no matter who knows who, or who the boss likes at the moment…

6. I WISH I could be communicated with on what is going on, not just what he/she thinks I need to know. I find more out more from co-workers than I do from him/her, above…

7. I WANT conflict to be dealt with fairly, quickly, … When people are in conflict, it is just allowed to fester, drive everyone else crazy and puts everyone on edge…

8. I WISH we would take the time to do things right. We rush through everything; like when someone new is hired, we just give them a few minutes of training and throw them into the routine. We barely even introduce them, and for sure we are setting them up for failure, because of poor training. Team-Relationship building is basically non-existent…

9. I NEED my boss to be real. I need him/her to be personable, open to being wrong, admitting when they are; be willing to be a friend as well as a firm, consistent and honest boss...

10. I WISH I was more challenged, maybe even get the boss to delegate some things to me. She is afraid to let anyone else do anything for fear of her own job, or maybe he just doesn’t trust anyone. How will we ever get any better?

These as well as others you are probably thinking of right now, are what is required for me to flourish, grow, learn and become more and more productive and useful to ME, to YOU, to the ORGANIZATION.

Maybe the question is, are you OK with me becoming you…., are you modeling the right stuff?
Some food for thought... Take care, DOUG

No comments: