Monday, September 20, 2010

Leadership / Spiritual WISDOM

Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding PROVERBS 3:13

He who loves discipline loves knowledge, he who hates correction is stupid PROVERBS 12: 1


What is wisdom anyway? As I think of it in regard to leadership, I am sure most of management believes it to be centered on how the product(s) is made or how we provide our service(s). Since there are many in management who know the product/service, but still struggle does not it have to be something more?

Is it really about that technical/operational know-how, or could it be something different? I believe it is undoubtedly about ALL of it: the knowledge of the business, people skills, human behavior/nature, process/systems-thinking, group dynamics and even some organizational behavior/development thrown in. If I knew much about all that and practiced it in my role as a leader, I would likely have to be a pretty wise leader, huh?

Whatever it is, it can be a double-edged sword. You see, leaders frequently believe they are there, they have arrived; and therefore they must know it all (or at least more than those they lead). If that is so, how do I use that wisdom? Do I share it, teach it to others, keep it to myself, or just use it to make all the decisions myself?

* I always have to be careful here in challenging management/managers. It is not about anyone being bad, but just about bad management (leadership).

The scriptures above encourage us to find and discover wisdom, maybe above anything else. Again, I ask you to consider here, what is leadership wisdom; what do leaders need to know?

Along with our own understanding, opinions and beliefs in this matter, we should seek the input of others around us. We should work on our leadership competencies and ask others to help us with this learning and growing. We need to be OK with it (them) when they do correct us, challenge us or point out where we are falling short. Wisdom would tell us that old phrase, two heads are better than one- is a truism. A lack of wisdom would cause the leader to not ask other opinions or not involve the team.

Enough said for now. Ponder it and maybe keep in mind this which was shared by my Pastor (regarding being open to change): A grave is much like a rut, only with the ends kicked out.

Use some wisdom here and be open to what that analogy says.

Gods best to you and yours this day, BOOKER

No comments: